STANDING COMMITTEE ON PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES, LAW AND JUSTICE INVITES SUGGESTIONS ON THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE (SECOND AMENDMENT) BILL, 2008
The Representation of the People (Second Amendment) Bill, 2008 introduced in Rajya Sabha on the 24th October, 2008 and pending therein, has been referred to the Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice, headed by Dr. E.M. Sudarsana Natchiappan, Member, Rajya Sabha for examination and report.
2. The Bill, introduced in pursuance of the examination of the proposals of the Election Commission of India on electoral reforms by the Government, proposes to amend the Representation of the People Act, 1950 and the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
3. Accordingly, the amendments proposed in the Bill are in:-
(a) The Representation of the People Act, 1950 : amendment of section 24 for the appointment of the appellate authority within the district against the orders of the electoral registration officers;
(b) The Representation of the People Act, 1951 :-
(i) simplification of procedure for disqualification of a person found guilty of corrupt practices by specifying a time limit in section 8A;
(ii) amendment of section 34 for increase in the security deposit of the candidates nominated for elections;
(iii) amendment of section 123(7) for inclusion of all officials appointed in connection with the conduct of elections so as to bring them within the ambit of corrupt practices, if they indulge in furtherance of the prospects of the candidates at elections; and
(iv) insertion of new sections 126A and 126B for restricting the publication of results of all exit polls by whatever means till the last poll in an election is held.
4. The Committee has decided to invite memoranda containing views of the individuals/organizations interested in the subject-matter of the Bill and also to hear oral evidence on the subject.
5. Those desirous of submitting memoranda on the Bill to the Committee may send two typewritten copies thereof in double-space (either in English or Hindi) to Shri K.P. Singh, Joint Director, Rajya Sabha Secretariat, Room No. 212A, Parliament House Annexe, New Delhi‑110001 (Tel: 23034292 and Fax 23016784, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) up to 17th December 2008, indicating whether they would also be interested in giving oral evidence before the Committee.
6. The memoranda, which might be submitted to the Committee, would form part of the records of the Committee and would be treated as confidential and would not be circulated to anyone and any act contrary thereto would constitute a breach of privilege of the Committee.
7. The Bill was published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 2, dated the 24th October, 2008. Its copies can be downloaded from:
To read Representation of People Act, click the link:
To read Electoral Reforms as suggested by the Election Commission of India, click the link:
To read more about electoral process, and electoral reforms in detail, click the link: